Translate

Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Thirty-Five Years of Sobriety

 

Today is my AA birthday, thirty-five years of continuous sobriety. I knew it was coming but I forgot about it until a friend called and wished me a happy birthday.

 

I was powerless over alcohol. My life had become unmanageable. Another friend led me into an AA meeting because, standing in the parking lot, I didn’t know where I was or why I was there. I had been not drinking only since I stopped last night. He told me where to sit. I was surprised at the laughter. 


A young girl walked over to me and said, “You look like shit. But keep coming back, it gets better.” Me? I looked like shit? I didn’t know.

 

I went to a meeting the next morning and, for the first time, I said, “My name is Chuck and I’m an alcoholic.” I dared to hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment